Luxury or roughing it?

I have just returned from an incredible trekking trip to Peru, and with around six to nine hours of walking everyday, I had a lot of time to think. While snuggling into my sleeping bag at night, in temperatures of minus 10 degrees celsius, I wondered...do I prefer luxury holidays, or do I secretly like roughing it?


It's a tricky question as I loved getting up every morning at 6am; cupping a mug of warm coca leaf tea in my hands, while breathing in the fresh air in the incredible Andes. At the same time, you can't beat climbing into a huge hotel bed with fresh sheets, and plump pillows.


Since I returned from the magical mountain ridges in Peru on Saturday, I have taken great pleasure in the simple things in life; like switching on lights instead of rummaging in my rucksack for my head torch. Having said that; I miss the feeling of open spaces, and a lack of people - it was a strange feeling being in London Heathrow with thousands of other travellers, and I do wish I could still enjoy the relative solitude of the trek with the amazing bunch of fellow trekkers, who really made the trip for me.


I am relatively new to trekking and camping experiences, but that doesn't mean I've spent years travelling in luxury. I think it's all about having a balance, and mixing things up a bit so that you don't get bored with one or the other. Perhaps the way to do it, is to try and experience luxury on a budget!

What do you prefer - luxury or budget travel? I'd love to hear your thoughts, so please leave your comments below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The undisputed King of Chicken Piri Piri!

Life is not a dress rehearsal

Awesome Alentejo